Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Who Is My Namesake?


I was talking with my parents recently, when my mom casually mentioned that I was named after Lauren Bacall, the husky voiced sex-pot, film star and model who was married to Humphrey Bogart in the 1940's.

Bullshit, Dad said. Lauren's named after Larry.

Larry has been one of my dad's best friends since childhood, and he has become a permanent fixture in our family outings and Sunday dinners -- sort of like the fourth Passell.

On learning this, I was immediately thrown into an inner frenzy of self-reflection and soul searching. Who is my namesake -- Lauren Bacall or Larry? When I told my parents to cut the crap and tell me the truth, Larry butted in, saying, "I'm sure Lauren Bacall and I are exactly alike, so it really doesn't matter." That's very possible.

Lauren Bacall:
  • Born Betty Joan Perske in New York City.
  • Studied acting for 13 years and worked a a fashion model.
  • Best known for being a film noir leading lady in such films as The Big Sleep and Dark Passage.
  • Won a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance in The Mirror Has Two Faces.
  • In 1999 was ranked as one of the 25 greatest female stars of all time by the American Film Institute.
  • Married to Humphrey Bogart.
  • Only child.
Larry:
  • Born Lawrence Chintella in Farrel, Pennsylvania.
  • Has six tattoos (a skull where the bones are actually baseball bats, rolling dice with flame and skulls on them, the word "rudeboy", one that he will not disclose information on, one in Chinese that he will not reveal the meaning, and one in Japanese that he will also not reveal the meaning.)
  • Listens exclusively to Rockabilly music.
  • Claims his favorite movie is Tank Girl but has never seen it.
  • Will not eat orange foods.
  • Owns a butter churner.
  • Bachelor.
  • Told me when I was four that he bought me a pony but my parents wouldn't let me keep it so it was killed.
  • Also when I was four, tried to take me on death-defying rides at an illegitimate looking carnival and the CARNY called him an irresponsible guardian.
  • Also has "sexy" husky voice (from chain-smoking)
  • Dresses himself in Hot Topic gear, black converse sneakers, and a chain wallet.
  • Is a genius engineer, who works in a building I like to call the "Imagination Station", but that is not what it is called.
So guys, what do you think? Who do I share a stronger connection with?

2 comments:

  1. "Told me when I was four that he bought me a pony but my parents wouldn't let me keep it so it was killed"

    Definitely reminds me of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look more like Larry, but then again you ARE married to Humphrey Bogart...

    Tie.

    ReplyDelete