Thursday, March 26, 2009

Virtual Condom: Screaming Children

Every morning when I come to work, I take off my "inappropriate, irresponsible, single girl" hat and put on my "mommy world" hat. I hate when people use that expression about the hats, by the way. But you know, at work I am constantly reading and writing about motherhood and parenting, and getting feedback from moms. The process is NOT making me want to have kids. I often stumble upon something so horrific -- whether it's about some weird pregnancy thing or moms' sacrifices, whatever -- that I actually call my mom in the middle of the day and say, "Holy shit, mom! Did you have to do this, too? Did you have an episiotomy? Did you not have enough time to yourself to take a pee in private when I was a toddler? Did you have to give up your career dreams to become a mom?" Because that is what I'm hearing. And usually, she is like, "yes," and she doesn't seem too pissed about it. And that is the scariest thing of all -- she's not bothered. Why not? Why aren't mothers rioting against the injustice!? I think I'm going to start posting about motherhood, and what you see may shock you, unless you're a mom. If you're a mom, you'll be like, "no big deal." But it is a big deal. So while partially I am using these posts as a form of birth control, (disclaimer: This post is not ACTUALLY A CONDOM. It will just make you think twice before not using one.) I am also doing them to honor moms and the crazy shit they did so that we could grow up and run away from them and give them a terribly unthoughtful Mother's Day gift. (That is so not me, but I know it happens.)

Today's installment of "Virtual Condom" is this lovely video:



2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I sent my mom a link to this article yesterday... here is her response:

    hello bethanne,

    thank you for sending this to me it made me laugh big. i showed dad he did not laugh.
    when i went to the store with the three of you i always said NO. but when dad went (and that was only one time) with the three of you well you three cried for the gum ball that i always said NO to.
    but he could not stand the crying so what did he do? he give you all a coin and that was the last time any of you went shopping.
    Good job to the dad that let the boy cry and cry.

    love mom

    ReplyDelete