Friday, March 6, 2009

The Media Does ANOTHER!!!! Bad Thing For Women

Off the top of my head, I can remember hearing reports that R gave CB "brown herpes," was flirting with Jay-Z (who wouldn't flirt with Jay-Z?) and then there was this reporter from the Daily News who reported that Rihanna grabbed the keys out of Chris' Lamborghini and threw them down the street, knowing "it would really infuriate Chris, and it worked." The same article says an insider reported that, "Rihanna is tempermental, too. They're both too hot-headed for their own good."

Ummmm... did you SEE that picture of Rihanna? I am really irked that they used a cliché to describe the situation. "Too hot-headed for their own good." Like, you know, run-of- the-mill "too hot-headed for their own good." Run-of-the-mill beating the shit out of your girlfriend. Whateves.

So I'm getting used to hearing this shit and being like "Mother of God!" But this morning, CNN interviewed Jeff Gardere, a Clinical Psychologist and I think it just made me realize that I've had enough. Up to here. Etcetera. The first thing he said that made me go "huh" was "They really are in love," which confuses me and I think is up for debate. But this part shouldn't be up for debate:

Rihanna, as we know, through her attorney, asked a judge not to prohibit Brown from contacting her. And we hear they are back together. Yikes. Gardere says,

"Rihanna herself has a responsibility not just to herself and her relationship and Chris Brown, but to her public, whether she wants to be a role model or not, she actually is, so she's giving a very wrong message by saying, "I'm going back, but I'm going back with no preconditions." There have to be preconditions. And I, as Rihanna, I should perhaps get some therapy and find out why it is that I want to stay in this kind of relationship."

Yes. The cycle of violence, we all know. But I would think a Clinical Psychologist would know how hard it is to break the cycle of violence. How hard it is to just walk away. Every day, women all over the world claim they love their husbands who have tried to kill them. We can never judge a woman who can't just get up one morning and do it, even if she is a public figure. It's going to be very difficult for Rihanna to break out of the cycle.

She is a victim, let's give her a break.


1 comment:

  1. Okay, so my question is, why in THE HELL is everyone talking about Rihanna's reaction to Chris Brown beating her rather than about the fact that Chris Brown beat the shit out of his girlfriend? Hello?! Is it really Rihanna who has the problem here or should be psychoanalyzed?

    You're totally right, she is the VICTIM. Just another classic example of society's double standards with issues of gender.

    ReplyDelete