Saturday, February 7, 2009

I DIE bananas

You only have to watch the Rachel Zoe Project for five minutes (which is what I have done) to hear her say the following eight gazillion times: I Die I Die I Die, Bananas Bananas Bananas. I cannot detect a common thread connecting the things she calls bananas, but I Die seems to refer to when she sees a fashion item that she cannot live without. And you know what? I sort of relate. I, too, have loved a piece of clothing so much that all I can think about is life and death and the most appropriate thing to say is I DIE. I saw stars when I saw those pink boots in the window of Urban Outfitters and the Nanette Lepore dress my mom bought me makes me believe that the world is good.  In fact, I used to say it about a LOT of things. I think it really sums up when you are pretty much speechless about the awesomeness of something. What else is there besides this awesome thing, and death? But guess what? I DIE is apparently Rachel's trademarked saying that nobody else is allowed to use, especially Christopher Sauve, a NYC artist who planned on selling this pretty awesome shirt in low distribution. After 25 shirts, his work was stopped when he received a letter from Zoe's lawyer siting that I DIE and bananas are trademarked. I just said I DIE the other day, referring to Passover. (I love Passover. More on that later, I guess.) I had no idea I was stealing vernacular from the quoteworthy Rachel Zoe. 

This is totally stupid. How can you own I DIE and bananas? Rachel Zoe has more millions of dollars than she has vintage Chanel dresses (both numbers are a lot) and she can't afford to let an actual artist in New York City, who actually is (was?) a huge fan of hers pick up on a strage/somewhatcute/butnotTHATcute phrase and carry it to a new, better level? If that's not bananas, I don't know what is. Maybe we'll have to wait until she actually does die to use the word again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment